With Barbecue season upon us, you have to have some kind of a potato-ey mayonnaise-y salad. So I made a Garlic Mayonnaise Sweet Potato Salad which was a huge hit for our last barbecue. It’s made with sweet potatoes instead of russet potatoes and Garlic Mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise. The Garlic Mayonnaise is homemade and lectin free! I made it the way I usually make potato salad in the past, with eggs and black olives. Instead of sweet pickles, I roasted red bell peppers, skinned them and took the seeds out of them so they were also lectin free. This replaced the sweetness of the pickles.
Ingredients for Garlic Mayonnaise Sweet Potato Salad
- 3 pounds white sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 large red onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 cup Garlic Mayonnaise
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and diced**
- 1 can black olives, diced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, with skin and seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
** To boil the eggs, place in cold water and bring them to a boil. Time the boil for 1 minute. Then turn off the heat, cover them and let them sit in the water for 10 minutes. Drain the hot water, and cover them again with cold water. This makes perfect boiled eggs that peel easily!
Instructions for Garlic Mayonnaise Sweet Potato Salad
- The first step is to peel and finely dice the sweet potatoes. Add them to a large pot of water with 1 teaspoon of salt. It takes about 9 minutes to get them tender, but not mushy.
- While the potatoes are cooking, roast the red peppers that have been seeded and cut in half in a 400 degree oven until the skins blacken.
- Gently peel the skins off of the red bell peppers. Then dice them.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and rinse with cool water.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling, cut up the boiled eggs, red onions, celery and the black olives.
- Add the cooled sweet potatoes and mix together.
- Once that is combined, add the Garlic Mayonnaise, salt, pepper and paprika. Mix well until everything is coated with the Garlic Mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
We really enjoyed this salad and it has become our go to for barbecues!