Macadamia Nut Sour Cream is an awesome replacement for dairy sour cream. I am sharing a recipe I really liked when I was vegan for one year. During that year, I experimented with many cashew recipes including a cashew sour cream. When I found out that cashews have too many lectins, I changed the cashews for macadamia nuts and created this recipe. Now my family and I use this sour cream wherever sour cream is called for, like on tacos, burritos, stroganoff, even on Instant Pot Pinto Beans.
Ingredients for Macadamia Nut Sour Cream
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup water (divided)
- 2 TBLS fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions for Macadamia Nut Sour Cream
- Cover macadamia nuts with water and soak for 4 – 6 hours. Then drain and rinse the nuts with fresh water.
- Transfer the nuts into a high speed blender with 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt. Using the puree or liquefy setting on your blender, blend until you get your desired smoothness. I had to add an addition 1/3 cup water to get the sour cream as creamy and smooth as dairy sour cream. Next use in your favorite recipe!