Macadamia Nut Mozzarella Cheese has been my solution to milk allergies. These allergies have caused me to have asthma symptoms such as shortness of breath and chest pain. So I gave up milk while eating vegan and my symptoms went away. Because a lot of the recipes I use require cheese, I have been making nut cheeses for awhile now. I used cashews as the primary nut. I recently found out that cashews are not nuts but actually legumes. On the Plant Paradox eating plan, legumes need to be cooked in a pressure cooker. So I decided to use macadamia nuts rather than cashews as my nut of choice for cheese. Because I wanted to make a chicken dish that required mozzarella cheese I created this recipe for macadamia nut mozzarella cheese.
Ingredients For Macadamia Nut Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup plain almond milk (not vanilla) or vegetable broth
- 3 tbls lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbls nutritional yeast
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbls onion powder
- 1 3/4 cups water – divided
- 2 TBLS + 1 1/4 tsp. agar powder
Instructions For Macadamia Nut Mozzarella Cheese
- Boil macadamia nuts for 10 minutes in a cup of water then strain away the excess.
- Put the nuts in the blender with the remaining ingredients, except 1 1/4 cups water and agar powder.
- Blend until it is completely smooth and creamy.
- Place remaining 1 1/4 cup water into saucepan and heat the water. Add the agar and heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Transfer the agar mixture into the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into an oiled container. Then cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.